We all want the best for our furry guys and when it comes to keeping them happy and healthy, there’s a lot of choices available. In recent years, there has been a big movement towards the usage of CBD oils and hemp. The research has proven effective for many symptoms dogs may experience including, cancer, anxiety, car sickness, nausea and arthritis to name but a few.
Here are 10 Things You Need To Know About CBD and some of the benefits For the Woofers
- Alleviate Anxiousness – Dogs can be very sensitive to different environments, noises and become anxious. Showing symptoms of distress include excessive barking, whining and panting. The cannabidoil compounds contain soothing and calming agents, which can alleviate stress the dog may be feeling. You should typically start to see your dog calm within an hour or so.
- Pain and Inflammation Relief – The cannabis plant contains CBD compounds that have fighting abilities against pain and inflammation. This works for dogs in the same way it does for us humans, primarily stimulating the endocannabinoid system which controls the auto immune and inflammation responses. Thus, with these anti-inflammatory effects the cannaboids have, the pain is reduce by the stimulation of cannaboids in the dogs the brain and body. This sends neurotransmitters, keeps the dog calm and relieves pain. For more chronic pain management, such as joint pain and mobility, it may take a couple of weeks for optimal results. You should experiment with how high of a dose your dog needs in order to get relief from his symptoms.
- Can help with Seizures and Epilepsy – Many dogs suffer seizures and epilepsy, just like humans do. In recent medical research, CBD has been shown to help slow down the frequency and duration of seizures.
- Cancer fighting properties – CBD found in cannabis, has been found to have an anti-tumour effect. The CBD has shown to shrink tumours, by blocking their ability to produce energy and inhibits cell growth. CBD can be used in conjunction with vet prescribed medications and in some cases has shown to enhance the efficiency of cancer treatments.
- Helps with Car Sickness and Nausea – CBD and hemp are targeting the overall health and well-being of your dog. So when you dog feels car sick and nausea sets in, the CBD helps to alleviate it by interacting with the serotonin receptors. In doing so, studies have shown that CBD does in fact have powerful anti-emetic properties allowing to combat nausea and increase appetite.
- CBD is Legal – Yes indeed! CBD oil (derived from Hemp Cannabis) formulated for dogs contains less than 0.03% THC. The THC is what will give you the (illegal) high and causes physcoactive tendencies. Your dog will not feel high; only calm, chilled and relaxed.
- Don’t just buy any CBD Oil or Biscuit for them – With so many options to choose from, make sure you choose the highest quality, THC-free biscuits. Know how much CBD the product contains and the manufacturer should have a certificate of analysis. Start with the minimal dosage and work up to where you see a substantial relief for your dog. All dogs are different and some will tolerate much higher dosages before you see results than others.
- Great for the Heart – Studies have shown that CBD may be able to treat and prevent heart disease in dogs, as, like humans, they have an endocannaboid system. The CBD interacts with the cardiovascular system and can, when taken on a regular basis, slow down and possibly even prevent heart disease altogether.
- Helps with Arthritis – CBD can be very effective in the fight against arthritis, hip dysplasia and joint pains. With its super anti inflammatory and powerful pain relieving effects, it can be a life altering supplement for dogs (both elderly and young) by providing much needed pain relief.
- Good for senior dogs and their Wellness – Absolutely! Whilst we don’t claim it will make your dog live forever, it will certainly help to combat some of the symptoms associated with an ageing dog and make them fell relaxed and comfortable in their later years.
For additional information visit the Medical Cannabis blog where they talk about our products.
You can also contact us and buy our CBD Treats online and in various stockists throughout Cape Town.